Monday, July 5, 2010

Vienna waits for you

This weekend I met my friend Alison in Vienna. She is doing the Yale in London program for the summer, studying British Theatre, and British Landscape Painting.

Part 1 of the journey involved me meeting Alison at our swanky hotel at about 10 in the morning… my train left Wurzburg at 2 am. I took the last tram leaving for the train station at 1am, and hung out on the track until 2.


It was kind of odd – in America I would have felt really unsafe being at a train station alone in the middle of the night, but the station felt really safe. At about quarter to two, a train carrying lots of cars stopped for a bit – I saw a few Porsches, dad. As the train drove away, it set off the alarm on a Volkswagen Beetle – it must have been going off until Frankfurt.

I got on the train in my own little compartment (kind of like in Harry Potter), and fell fast asleep, and woke up in Austria outside of Linz. Then I watched the scenery until I got to Vienna. I had a chocolate croissant in a shop called ‘Coffee and Snacks’, which is really all I ever want in the morning. I also bought a Vienna Card – a tourist card for the weekend, which allowed me to get on all public transport within the city for free, and get discounts at many of the museums, which ended up being great because I think Alison and I went to pretty much every museum in Vienna. I took the subway to the hotel, and waited for Alison there. The hotel was really pretty, and really old. Here’s the view from our window.


They also had a fantastic breakfast buffet, and lots of nutella and fruit. Then Alison got to the hotel, and we headed out on our epic adventures through all of Vienna…

No comments:

Post a Comment