Thursday, June 17, 2010

Today

Today started off as a bad day... it was drizzling as I walked to lab. Then I looked at the column that I had run overnight, and there were only two tiny peaks. I wanted one big peak, because that would mean lots of pure protein.
And then I had to wait around while the gel was running and I was sad I had so little protein. Also, the other protein I was working with also had a small peak, but at least that one was pure. The gel showed they were both pure, so then I had to concentrate the protein, which is kind of boring, because you put it in the centrifuge for about 10 minutes, go away, come back and mix it a bit, and then put it in for another 10 minutes. It gets annoying because 10 minutes is too long to wait by the centrifuge, but not long enough to go back to my desk and do something useful.
And then lab meeting was really long...
BUT by the time I finished concentrating my protein, I took the concentration (for those who know science, they have a nanodrop machine here. that is my favorite scientific machine of all, I think), and it was more than I thought it would be! And Steffi said she was happy to have students who have had lab experience (because she didn't have to tell me how to use the nanodrop. That's mostly because I really love nanodrops). And then I got to flash freeze my protein in liquid nitrogen which was fun, and then I got my own box in the -80 freezer, and it's pink! And then there were small children in lab coats in the lab, because there is some sort of science outreach program next door, which is not cool when there are high school kids wandering around, but is adorable when there are 7 year olds in lab coats in the lab.
So today was a good day, because I was complimented on my science skillz, and I have a pink freezer box, and when I go back to my apartment, I will eat strawberries.
Also, tomorrow I am going to Bonn to meet a family friend of a family friend, and they will also show me Cologne. Pictures to come when I get back!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julia! I love nanodrops too!!! I'm so happy we share that in common!! That is a type of candy, right?
    Have a great time in Bonn. Aren't you glad your mother talks to everyone and anyone??? Now you are going to meet a family friend of a family friend!!!!
    love,
    Mami

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO - a nanodrop is this machine that can figure out the concentration of protein or DNA with just a 1 or 2 microliter drop. Which is really good when you're trying to not use up your sample! And they're really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, I believe Robin Williams (a comedian) was nano-comedian. Tio

    ReplyDelete