Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The World Cup in a country where people like soccer

First of all, here is some photographic evidence that the World Cup is a really big deal here:

Every store has soccer related displays in their windows, like this candy store with soccer players, soccer balls, trophies, etc. A lot of clothing stores have South Africa themed displays - mostly just pictures of giraffes, actually. The cafeteria also has lots of pictures of animals from South Africa, and a garland of flags of all the participating countries across the ceiling.

And what are these, you may ask? Oh, just eggs painted like soccer balls at the grocery store.
They also have eggs painted like little Germany flags. It's crazy here.

I watched the first USA game at Verena's house, which was very fun, especially because we didn't lose.

I watched the Germany game on the 9th floor of my apartment building, where there is a common tv room. I met a few other people who live in the building, who all speak English, and are all studying biology. I was a little late to the game - I left the lab right at 8:30 to go to watch it. I guess Germany's first goal was really early on, because on my walk home, I heard a yell coming from literally everywhere around me. Then horns started honking, and more screams...
It was kind of like watching a game at home when Dad yells when the USA scores, except everyone was yelling. It was pretty cool.

I may be on a train during the next Germany game, but I predict they will go far this tournament...

No comments:

Post a Comment